Sunday, November 1, 2009

They've got catfish on the table. They've got gospel in the air...

Wow. This is the first chance I've had to write in over a week - either because of really bad internet connection or just being plain busy! So brace yourself because it's going to be a long one. But hopefully you'll make it to the end. At least stay for the pictures!


When I last wrote, I was leaving Louisville, Kentucky and heading towards the Smoky Mountains. I took a detour and did a little 2 hour walking tour of the Mammoth Caves in Kentucky. Really cool! We were walking over 300 feet below the earth and it was quite a climb. It wasn't your typical tour. There was definitely a lot of shimmying, bending and climbing. But it was very educational and I got some good exercise! And it was really cool to be inside a cave that had been in use for over 4,000 years back when it was just Native Americans.
 
I didn't do any backroad traveling to Tennessee as I felt like I was in a time crunch to get to my next destination before sundown. I ended up spending three nights in Pigeon Forge - which is about 30 minutes south of Knoxville, 15 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains and home of Dollywood! And I never even planned on going here AT ALL during my trip. That's what I love about what I'm doing. I'm completely down for randomness and love that I'm going to places I've never even thought about! By the time I found a relatively cheap hotel (Country Hearth Inn & Suites! It was great!) in Pigeon Forge, all I really had time for was dinner. I'm glad I went to at Longhorn because it was the bartender who told me that I should hike the Chimney Tops trail.....which is what I did the next day.

Now first off, let me just say that the Smoky Mountains were absolutely gorgeous at this time of year. All the foliage was still in full effect and regardless of what trail I decided to do, I would have had an amazing experience. However, I chose the hardest most strenuous day trip hiking trail. And anyone who knows me, knows that I am not in the best shape and have a bad ankle. Oh well! It was going to be a once in a lifetime hike and I wanted to do it. Plus, it was only 4 miles roundtrip so how hard could it be? I'm glad it was nice out because the trail was pretty active and I was able to hike with a family from Alabama also doing the trail. If it wasn't for them, my hike wouldn't have been half as enjoyable. So thank you Strickland family! This trail was intense. At least it was for me. It was very steep. And once you got to the top, you literally had to scale rocks. At one point I was just using upper body strength and if my hand had slipped, I would have been a goner because it was straight down! I LOVED IT! And I was pretty proud of myself too. The ultimate reward was getting to the top of the Chimney Tops and the view. WOW!



After the hike, I was exhausted as I should have been. But I decided to stay another night in Pigeon Forge in hopes that I could do another trail the next day. I rewarded myself with a HUGE meal at Corky's BBQ. I must have looked like I had never eaten before! Unfortunately the next day it rained and while I didn't get to any hiking, I did still manage to go to the top of Klingman's Dome and attempt to see the view. But they don't call it the Smoky Mountains for nothing! Not a great view because of the rain but still a fun little drive. And that second picture is of the Chimney Tops - the trail that I did the day before.




I spent the rest of the day walking around the mountain tourist town of Gatlinburg and eventually huddled up into the Smoky Mountains Brewery where I stayed for a few hours doing what I do best...drinking beer! The next day I shoved off to Nashville and naturally, it was a beautiful day out. I guess I could have stayed and hiked another trail, but honestly I was still in pain! My whole body ached! On the way to Nashville I took the scenic Route 70. And boy am I glad I decided to bypass the highway or I wouldn't have discovered two amazing waterfalls! In the town of Ozone, Tennessee I actually climbed all the way to the bottom of the Ozone Waterfall. It wasn't a simple trail either and with wet rocks, it made for one interesting decending! But look at it!



  After a suggestion by a Evangelistic pastor I met at Ozone (I surprised when he shook my hand, I didn't burst into flames!), I took a side trip to Spencer, Tennessee to the Fall Creek Falls State Park. I really wish I had more time to explore this great area because there were more then one waterfall and it was just a great place. I probably spent a good hour and a half walking around, doing a little trail to the top of the falls (which really made my legs feel better!) I bet it's a cool place to hang out at in the summer. There was even a little swimming hole and plenty of sites for camping. I guess it just gives me reason to come back!




Now, Nashville was everything I hoped for and more. I wound up getting a pretty "sweet" suite about 15 minutes from the city. That night I went to dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings, ended up getting myself involved in a fun trivia game and then wound up at a bar called Dougie Rays until almost 3 in the morning playing more trivia and hanging out with the locals. So random. I loved it. While in Nashville, I did all the tourist things. I took a tour of the Grand Ole Opry and stood center-stage. It was so neat to be able to stand on the same stage that is basically the country music mecca. Of course, I also loved learning all the history. I had never been a huge fan of country music. I've been a casual listener but I knew a lot of the old, old stuff thanks to my family. This year I guess I kinda got a little more "involved" in country music, mainly because of the yacht club. And I'm proud to say I can sing along with all the songs on the radio now! Haha. Yes, I totally just admitted that I'm a country fan now.


I also went to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. After spending almost four hours there, I am definitely much more knowledgable in the country music genre then I had been before. The history with this genre is so rich and all the displays, videos, instruments that I saw were really amazing. I especially enjoyed the display on the Hank Williams legacy because it wasn't just about Hank Sr., it was about every member of his family right down to his grandchildren who are up and coming country artists. Randomly, while I was perusing downtown Nashville I saw that there was a NHL hockey game going on so I bought a $10 ticket for the Nashville Predators game. I was literally in the last row but the view was cool and you can't beat watching hockey live. Plus, they won.


The best part of Nashville was hands down, the honky tonk bars that populated the street of Broadway. Every bar had a band or solo artist playing at all hours of the day. And most of the ones that I saw were pretty good! Of course, the music of choice was country - especially the classics - but every now and then a band would bust out a rock song, flavored with country of course. It was a lot of fun to just jump from bar to bar sampling not only beer, but a different array of musicians. Some of these bars have launched a lot of country stars of today so who knows? Maybe I saw someone that could be on the radio in a couple years down the line!


And now, as I'm writing, I'm in Memphis, Tennessee. While I loved Nashville and didn't want to leave, I'm beginning to recognize that I'm on some what of a schedule now that it's November and I want to be in Nebraska for Thanksgiving. So I had to press on. I took the backroads the whole way here which to proved to be a nice drive. I loved passing through all the little hick towns and watching people double take my car with it's Red Sox Massachusetts plates. I made a little stop at the Belle Meade Plantation, which is famous around these neck or the woods and if you have any interest in horses. I did the tour and walked around the grounds for a bit before coming into Memphis. Hotel hunting wasn't fun so I eventually decided to buck up and pay a little more for quality at the Days Inn Graceland. Plus, it meant that when I went to Graceland today I could walk and didn't have to pay for parking. Memphis just strikes me as not a safe city so especially with all the crap in my car, I think I made a wise decision.

I spent Halloween on Beale Street which was pretty crazy. I was only there from 7-11:30 and I know that when I left, the party was just getting started but a con of being by myself - I have to be responsible and not drink and drive. There were some pretty funny costumes and interesting characters on the streets. And the cool thing about Beale is that it is completely shut down from car traffic, open until 3 AM, and you drink in public like Key West and New Orleans. I had some really good ribs at a place called Blues Cafe and spent a good time walking around people watching and listening to some blues band. What a contrast from Nashville!




Of  course today I engulfed myself in the religious experience that is Graceland! Elvis Presley's home! I ended up spending a good couple hours doing the self-guided tour of the mansion and looking at all the Elvis memorabilia and exhibits. Even though it was a little pricey, it was definitely worth it and I'm glad I did it. I mean, I'm in Memphis so I HAD to. Yes, we all love Elvis. The Graceland mansion was everything I thought it was going to be. When Elvis died in the 70s, the place was left just as he had it which was pretty kitschy in some rooms - wall-to-wall hideous carpeting, gaudy colored furniture - but that's what gives it character. Plus, it was interesting to learn about the Presley lives especially Elvis's time in the military.


Today I also took in the Peabody Hotel, which is a historic hotel in downtown Memphis. It has a lot of rich history including the Peabody ducks that march to and from the hotel fountain every day at 11 AM and 5 PM. It was so cute! I love ducks. The view at the top of the hotel was really nice, as the sun was setting.


So that FINALLY leaves me off where I am today. Tomorrow I plan on doing some more tourist things - the Soul Museum, hopefully the Civil Rights Museum and go down to the Mississippi riverfront. And then I have to leave this great state of Tennessee. I'll be heading for Florida through Mississippi and Alabama.

I know this was really long, and I really do appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read my blog whether they read the whole thing or just skim it. So, thanks to my "loyal readers"! I will try to write another entry much quicker this time, I promise. Leave a comment and let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Love the updates, Courtney. Sounds like you're taking it all in...

    ...that's what she said.

    Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best blog entry to date! Love it! I love ducks too! I do! Hope you are having the time of your life! Miss ya and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was kelly again

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like so much fun courtney. nashville sounds like a really great time. the weather sucks up here. its just starting to get cold and gross. cant wait for winter!! wooo!

    and dont worry about not writing as frequently....i havent got a chance to write on mine in weeks haha.

    be safe and have fun!

    ReplyDelete