Wednesday, December 30, 2009

They've all gone to look for America...

The above lyric is from a Simon & Garfunkel song, "America" and I think it pretty much sums up my trip. I've been home in Wareham for almost two weeks now and figured that after all the traveling I did, I needed to wrap it up blog-wise.


The trip home was LOOOOOOOONG. It was boring. It was tedious at times. It was frustrating (especially when it came to tractor trailers, and their drivers). But after over 3,000 miles I made it back safe and sound. But let me tell you, if I had it my way I wouldn't have powerdrove home and took highways the whole time. But Christmas was approaching and I had to get back. And good thing I really pushed myself to get back Friday night, because we got HIT with a massive snowstorm Saturday night - almost two feet! Crazy!


So now that I've been home for a while and had time to reflect on my trip, here's what I have to say. First off, I've got to say how much I absolutely loved this trip and I am so happy that I finally got the balls to do it. It really was a trip of a lifetime and I am nothing but grateful that I was able to do it at this point in my life. I don't think that there was one bad day on the trip. The United States is a great country. There's so much to see and I feel like there's so much more left out there for me to explore later on. I found so many great things in places I didn't expect (i.e. Smokey Mountains - never had plans to go there originally and then ended up spending three nights...)


Of course being by myself had it's advantages and it's disadvantages. There were definitely some places that I was at, or things that I did, that would have been nice to have another person with me. But overall, I am so glad that I did this trip by myself. I've always been independent. I've never had problems with going out to eat by myself, or taking myself to the movies. Hell, what do I do every night when I'm home? Shut myself in my room and watch movies. I've even done a few mini-road trips alone and I would say that moving to Key West was a pretty bold move, as well. Being by myself on this trip really was great. I was forced to talk to people and I met a lot of interesting folks along the way, a few I hope to stay in contact with. Also by being solo, I made my own decisions. I decided what was for dinner. I decided when to stop for the night and what hotel to stay in. I decided when to be spontaneous and do things like that helicopter trip (in St. Louis). You get the drift. It was awesome. And I would like to think that if I thought I was independent before I left, I'm even more independent now. So look out world! Haha.


Another thing I learned on this trip was that life is too short. If you want to do something, better just buck up and do it. Why wait? What's the point? I understand that I went to college and I have a degree. But I still have no idea what I want to do with my life. I do, however, know what I want to do in the near future. Years from now...no idea. I thought that by going on this trip, I would find some place that I really loved and want to move to. Yes, I definitely found some places that I would ponder moving away to (Nashville, San Francisco, Smokey Mountains) but ultimately, right now, I think I still want to be around Massachusetts.


I want to take this time to thank the people that made my trip that much more enjoyable. First, to the friends and family that let me crash at their places: Cency and gang at Washington & Jefferson, Cat and Alex in Orlando, Jack and Mark and Gina in Key West, Eric and Linda in Naples, my aunt Josette in Nebraska and my aunt Louise in Oregon. Many thanks.


And to all the people I met along the way: the Strickland family while hiking the Smokey Mountains, the bartender at Longhorns in Pigeon Forge, the Buffalo Wild Wings and trivia gang in Madison, TN, the Evangelical couple I met at Ozone Falls, the Australian gent in Nashville and Memphis, Barbara at the Natural Bridge in Alabama, the tour guide at the Atlanta Braves, the Key West gang (Hi Brian and Jan!), my waitress at the Angus Steakhouse in Panama City Beach, Kathy and gang at Lafittes Blacksmith Bar, the two hilarious guys from the piano bar in Lafittes (New Orleans), the guy from AAA in Arkansas, the group at Schlafly Brewery in St. Louis, the mullet lady and Mexicans at the bar in St. Louis, the helicopter driver in St. Louis, Josette's friends from the 'hood in Alliance, the Canadian couple at Pyramid Brewery in Seattle, the volunteers at the Cape Disappointment lighthouse in Washington, Chris at Ukiah Brewery and anyone else I might have forgotten. That was what this trip was all about, and I'll never forget it.


Now I'm home. Christmas came and went. I went to the Wave a few times. I've hung out with some friends. But really, I don't feel that comfortable being back. Every time I get in my car, I just want to drive. I've definitely found something I love to do! Not being back at the yacht club feels weird, but really I'm all set with that place. I was angry at first when shit hit the fan while I was away, but now I'm just learning not to be bitter and move on. Whatever, I'm the one who left. So, now what? Exactly. That's what I find myself asking every day. For starters, my desktop crashed while I was gone. I lost all my pictures, music, resume, everything. I'm trying not to dwell on it especially since it's probably karma for not backing things up and downloading things illegally. I guess I should probably work on finding a job, but theres really nothing around. And my credit card bill is insanely large. But I knew that would happen going into this. I have enough money to pay my bills for January so when I get back from Stevie P's wedding in Arizona (I'll be going for a couple days) and if I still don't have a job by then, well then the worrying will start.


Right now, I'm taking things day by day. I knew certain things would happen when I decided to do this trip. I knew my credit card bill would be high. I knew I wouldn't have any money. I knew I would have trouble finding a job on the Cape in January. So now I'm just dealing with the consequences while still reveling in the fact that I just traveled 13,000 miles across the USA and back in two months by myself!!


Tomorrow is the last day of 2009. Last year as I rang in the new year sitting at the Cranebrook Restaurant during a New Years snowstorm just absolutely miserable, I made up my mind that this was the year that I took charge and changed things. Yes, I had some pretty bad months (especially working at the Crane - I hated it so much) but this trip cancels all that stupid crap out. My goal for 2010 is to continue doing what I started. Plain and simple.


Road trip 2009. Best decision of my life. Here's hoping that I'm able to do part two of the trip somewhere in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment