Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Upside down and inside out. When I leave here I'm going alone.

It's September 1st so you know what that means? Last full official week at the yacht club. Our technical "season" is only from Memorial Day to Labor Day and this summer flew by. It might have been the whole lack of summer weather thing until the end of July. Or maybe I just subliminally wished for it to go by quickly. Whatever the case is, my summer is coming to an end QUICKLY. Tonight was my last Tuesday Ladies Racing Night ever. I say "ever" because I really hope that I can basically find the strength, though it sounds stupid, to not come back to the BYC in the spring. Even if I'm living in a ditch somewhere, I don't want to come back because I need to step out of the comfort zone that I've lived in for seven years, quit being a little bitch and move on.

All I asked for tonight was for them to thank me, as a group. That's all. Not too hard. Maybe it's selfish because I feel "deserving" of their praise and want acknowledgment. But you know what? Yeah. It's selfish. I'm allowed to be that way every now and then. I've taken the fall for people a lot over the years, I've put up with members complaining and being pains-in-asses, so yeah, I think it's only fair. Only about a handful of the ladies knew about my plans and frankly it's so muc
h easier to let everyone know as a group then telling everyone individually. I did get the group "thanks" and most of them were shocked at my news, but are happy for me. But honestly, I've heard nothing but positivity about everything and really, that's what I need.

Can't say that it wasn't a bittersweet feeling locking up the building tonight.
Tuesday nights have always been my favorite night at the club. I've been taking care of them for at least 5 years, maybe a little longer, so they're used to me and I know what to expect week after week. Oh, I remember the good 'ole days when we didn't even offer food service to them on Tuesday. That was fun. And, this is the group of ladies that came and visited me when I lived in Key West. Oh, that was a good time. Tomorrow night is my last Wednesday Night Racing, but that honestly isn't that a big of a deal to me. Never really been a fan of Wednesday or Thursday nights, to be honest. So whatever.

OK, enough of this rambling. My laptop is awesome. Can't wait to use it on the road. This week's task is to look into a better sleeping bag and car-camping gear. I'm also going to bring my car in for an oil change and see what they suggest for me to do before taking off on the trip in October. I'm sure a tune-up is in for call....

Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps I only ever was able to see you in your comfort zones, but everything I've seen says you're fully capable of making these your final days there, ever. The future, albeit an unknown, is not something to be feared.

    We spend so much time getting comfortable where we are that sometimes it becomes impossible (nay, inconceivable) to leave. I know this feeling well enough myself. I've forced myself out of my box in my life at least 4 times already, and I'm only 25. Each time was well worth it, though, I can say this with certainty, for during those times I attended UMass, visited various and sundry corners of the country, explored roads, learned how to deal with stage fright while teaching, and made more friends than I ever thought I was allowed to have.

    The time has come for your next adventure, and the one thereafter, and so forth. You've done well to this point, and I see no reason why you won't continue to do so, so long as you let your actions be guided by your heart.

    Also, have this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veDkVs6MIEo (hopefully that link is correct, it's sappy as all get out but I think it fits.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That version always made me smile, anyway. Mouth trumpets and all.

    ReplyDelete