Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Facin' backwards might cause you to slip...

I bought a laptop yesterday. Another thing to cross off my list. It's a Compaq, nothing too special. I think it has a little over 200 gbs, and seems pretty easy to use. I can't believe that it took me this long to "cross over" to the non-desktop side. Don't get me wrong, I'm nowhere close to retiring this computer. Minus a few freezing issues here and there it still works like the day I bought it two and half years ago. But now with this laptop, I can start putting things on it and getting it set up for travel. My parents want me to get a PC card from Verizon, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to shell out an extra $40 a month, even though it might be worth it while on the road. But I am excited with my purchase and what it means for this trip, and what it means for this blog!

Car, camera, video camera, iPod, cellphone, laptop...I got all the big purchases out of the way, for now. I would say that's pretty damn good! Now all I really have to do is shop around for some random memberships, maybe buy a National Parks Pass - it's only $80 and gets you access to all the parks around the US. I need to get some camping supplies too. I don't know if I will camp, not sure how I feel about doing that alone. I've spent many hours researching this trip and that is the only thing I'm concerned about. I can't wait to try out a hostel and do some car-camping, but actually pitching a tent is kind of bombarding to me right now. Most solo road trippers recommend it though, even as solo woman, but we'll see. And naturally, my mother is beside herself....

Now that I've had the talk with my boss, I've been telling people my plans. Most of them are positive about it. They say that I definitely should do this because I'll look back with regrets if I don't. Of course there are some naysayers (not many) who don't understand how I can basically quit my job without a back-up plan. "No, but what are you going to do?!?!" And I really don't have an answer for that, honestly. Maybe it's a little jealousy seeping out when they say that, but I know that's just practicallity speaking. Oh well. That's what I do. I don't have back-up plans. I didn't when I applied to college convinced that it was UMASS or bust. I sure didn't when I graduated college, I didn't when I left Key West, I didn't when I walked out of the job in Middleboro. So what would make this any different? Maybe I like the randomness. I mean, why else would I be doing what I'm doing?

Well, that's enough for tonight. More to come later...

No comments:

Post a Comment