Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Live high. Live mighty. Live righteously.

I can't believe it's October! Less then two weeks until I leave for my trip! 

I really feel like if I had to leave tomorrow, I would be ready. I only have to get a few small things and do some last minute tasks but overall my mission is almost complete. Over the past couple of weeks I've gotten everything squared away with the jeep. I had to get a new O2 cylinder installed which has done wonders. My car drives so much better now and the check engine light hasn't come on in almost two weeks. (I had a problem with that for at least a year...) It also had a tune-up when I brought in for an oil change. Last week, I refinanced my car loan at a local credit union. I was approved for 5.75% but the loan officer gave it to me at 5.25% thanks to some coupon promotion that someone else didn't use. It will only be about $13 less a month but overall, I'm going to be saving over $500. It's also right in Wareham and they do online paying, which was the selling point for me. I refinanced it based on my remaining 41 payments. And the added bonus of a $50 Red Robin gift certificate was pretty nice too!

I also switched my car insurance over to AAA. I was pretty unsatified with my now former insurance coverage. I still have the accident from March of 2008 on there and I'm a step four, which is not good, so naturally my insurance is going to be high. Somehow I managed to get it over $300 cheaper through AAA and I added rental coverage on it as well. Should have made the switch last year....I had to pay 20% as a down payment which I obviously wasn't figuring into my budget, but it will be worth it in the long run. And you never know what will happen on the trip....I'm confident in my driving, but its the other weirdos out there that you have to watch out for. Having AAA as my insurance company makes me feel secure.

Besides doing lots of research online, printing things out, checking out campgrounds and cheap hotels, I've made another side plan. I'm going to be in Nebraska for Thanksgiving. My aunt Josette lives there and I wanted to visit during my trip and it probably would have been around that time so this will be perfect. However, if it doesn't happen, it's no big deal. You never know whats going to happen on the road - weather, car problems, etc. - but I'm going to try my hardest to get there for the holiday. I think that will be fun.

My last day at the yacht club is coming up. Next Monday....wow, that came up quick. I only have three shifts left - Pub Night on Friday, a wedding on Saturday and my last shift is Decommissioning on Columbus Day. Not gonna lie, it's kinda depressing showing someone else how to lock up the building and knowing that my key chain is going to get significantly lighter next week. But I know it's for the best. That's what I have to keep telling myself... Last Saturday was the annual meeting where the committee changed and a new commodore took over. When the past commodore was giving his speech, he thanked me and everyone clapped. I honestly didn't expect it so it was kinda nice to be recognized. And then of course, everyone wanted to know where I was going. I'm sure the staff is getting pretty sick of me talking about my trip...I'm actually getting pretty sick of hearing myself talk too! Seriously. I really am. But by talking to the members, I've managed to add a couple more contacts and references and hear others stories and suggestions. I'm glad to be leaving at this time....I'm not too happy with the regime change. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out once I'm gone...

The anxiousness is starting to set in. I can't help but feel a little bit nervous....


One week and six days. I'll drink to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment