Thursday, October 22, 2009

You gotta swim...

Where? Lancaster, PA - Gettysburg, PA - Washington, PA - Wheeler, WV - Ashland, Kentucky
Tunes: Jack's Mannequin, Spice Girls, Melee, James Taylor, Oldies mix, Vampire Weekend 


Here I am on day four of my trip. I'm currently in Ashland, Kentucky at a Days Inn. And the internet connection is horrible! I've tried to upload my pictures about five times and I'm hoping that this entry will actually get sent. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't having a good time. Especially seeing as what is going on back home, it feels good to be away. I am really excited for tomorrow. I'll be spending a couple days in Louisville, Kentucky along the Bourbon Trail. I'm hoping to get as many tours in as I can and I really want to go to the Louisville Slugger Muesum as well.


So, yesterday I left Lancaster around 9 AM. I really enjoyed Amish Country and would highly recommend the trip to anyone. Maybe I'll go back some day? I was en route to Washington, PA to a friend from work, Cency's, college for the night. I had the best drive ever! I did route 30 (the historic Lincoln Highway) to route 31, all back roads through the hills and mountains of Pennsylvania. It actually took me through Gettysburg so I stopped and did the tourist thing for about an hour. What a gorgeous day! I wish I could put pictures up, but I'm having extreme difficulty with this internet connection....Going up and down the mountains was probably the highlight of the day. The views. Oh, the views. And it was so nice out too - almost 80 at one point. I got to Washington around 4:15, just in time for Cency's soccer game. Believe it or not, I have never watched a complete soccer game up until yesterday. It was fun even though they lost. I spent the night at Cency's dorm where I partook in some Wednesday college drinking. It was nice to hang out with a friend, especially since I'll be alone on the trip for so long - a familiar face is very welcoming.


I left Washington and Jefferson around 12 today after sleeping in a little late and going out for lunch. I really didn't know what I wanted to do today so I decided to go on a suggestion of Oglebay Park in Wheeling, West Virginia. It took about an hour to get there on route 40, which was also a nice ride. And I had never been to West Virginia before so hopefully this was the first of many "new" states for me. Oh yeah, Kentucky is a new state to me too. The Park was kind of cool....took some nice pictures, saw some deer hanging out on a golf course. Then I took route 2 along the Ohio River for a few hours before I got fed up and just plowed onto the highway. The Ohio River was a nice view, but I really didn't care for WV that much - from what I saw. I decided that I was going to push myself to Kentucky so I am closer to Louisville for tomorrow. I ended up spending much more money then I wanted to on this hotel, but that's what I get for not doing my research.


Tomorrow will be better. I think I'm about a good 2 and a half hours from my destination, maybe less if I go to one of the distilleries first. I'm trying to find a place to stay but THIS INTERNET CONNECTION SUCKS! I don't think I can stress that enough. Haha. Hopefully I will be able to post pictures within the next few days.


The jeep is running good. Everything is still packed very nicely. Only one shampoo bottle has exploded in my backpack. Looking forward to tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment