Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Or should I just keep chasin' pavements...

The trip has started.

Day 1: 456 miles
Day 2: 125 miles
Where? Pottsville, PA - Lancaster, PA - Amish Country - Hershey, PA
Tunes: Road Trip mix, Ace Enders and a Million Different People, Adele, ABBA, Oldies mix

Yesterday, at 5:30 AM, I finally set off for my trip heading towards Pennsylvania. The first place I wanted to go was the 1:30 tour of the Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville. I made it there in pretty good time despite hitting traffic all throughout the Connecticut stretch of I-95.

The tour at Yuengling was everything I hoped for and more! It was over 2 hours long completed with a tasting. I have toured three different breweries before - Sam Adams, Harpoon and Berkshire - and this was hands down, no competition, the best brewery tour ever. We went into every single room in the brewery including the bottling room where we got to see Yuengling Light Lager being canned, pasteurized and boxed for distribution. One of the coolest parts of the tour was getting to go in the "cave" - an area that is no longer in use and that was completely shut off up until a few years ago.

After the tour, I was able to taste two different kinds of Yuengling that I have never had before which was awesome. My favorite beer....yum! I would love for it to be available in Massachusetts but because it's so hard to find, that makes it even better. After the tour I took the backroads to Lancaster. I decided not to camp because it was kind of chilly out and I was feeling lazy. On the way there I passed an area of the Appalachian Trail so I had to stop. Thank god I did. Breathtaking view.
I ended up getting two nights in the Super 8 right on Route 30 of Lancaster. I didn't do too much last night. I drove around a bit and then had dinner at the Cracker Barrel. Meatloaf. Good stuff. This morning, after a great night's sleep, I spent the whole day in Amish Country. I really love doing the tourist thing. I should have worn my fanny pack. I also really enjoy learning about different cultures, history, just learning new things in general. And I love trying new food! There was this jam canning shop and they had so many good samples! I ended up buying some raspberry salsa and some pickled cabbage. After doing a little wine tasting at a local wine shop, I took an Amish buggy tour. It was pretty awesome because there were only 10 of us and we got to go to the tour guide's farm and he showed us everything. I'm just amazed at how ignorant some people are. You don't take pictures of the Amish! However, it was very insightful and who doesn't love to see baby cows?


I took a side trip to Hershey, PA which is a good hour away from Intercourse but unfortunately I got there 10 minutes before everything closed. Oh well. I wasn't too impressed anyways. I bought my Christmas tree decoration and left. I could seriously spend a week here. The air is so crisp and fresh. It's hard to describe. The smell itself is great - and I'm not talking about the farms! I also really enjoyed just driving around this area. You would be going up this hill and then at the top.....amazing view of cornfields, valleys, farms, mountains. I took lots of pictures, but I really wish I had taken more.


Tomorrow I leaving Lancaster and taking a scenic drive to Washington, PA where I will be spending the night at Washington & Jefferson College with a friend from the yacht club, Cency. I'm going to her soccer game and I'm really excited!!! After that, I'm not quite sure. I'll be making my way to Kentucky, I suppose.

If you want to see all my pictures, check out my facebook page: USA Road Trip pictures

2 comments: